As registration offices are official in their recording of weddings, saying “Yes I do” in Sri Lanka is recognised world-wide.
Contact us to enquire about the paper-work which we will prepare for you and about the various possibilities for a Sri Lankan wedding, complete with a typical Sri Lankan buffet (as it is done by Sri Lankans) or a mixture of Western and Sri Lankan cuisine. Hotels (5-star modern hotels or colonial hotels) and setting can be selected according to your wishes. And of course, no wedding is complete without the wedding bouquet with orchids, the wedding cake and the extremely prestigious Royal Kandy attire for both the bride and the groom. Never has a wedding been more spectacular than in Sri Lanka ! Naturally, special rates are offered according to the number of guests attending.
INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE TRAVELING ABROAD TO MARRY
Lawful Days of Marriage Ceremonies
Wedding ceremonials in Sri Lanka are conducted Monday to Sunday plus Public Holidays
Minimum Legal Age to Marry in Sri Lanka
The couple to be married must be 21 years of age and over on the day of performance of the ceremony of marriage. The minimum age is 21 and not 18 as in most western countries.
Required Documents for the Wedding
Documentation for wedding and marriage ceremony must be sent to us at least 4 weeks prior to the wedding day and includes:
- Photocopy of Birth Certificate – original be presented prior to the wedding day,
- Photocopy of Valid Passport – original to be presented prior to the wedding day
- Details of the names, addresses and occupations of the couple to be married,
- Details of parents’ names, occupations and addresses of the wedding couple
- An affidavit confirming marital status of bride and groom prior to the wedding
- If either party to the marriage is divorced, a Decree Absolute proving the lawful termination of the previous marriage must be presented prior to the wedding ceremony
- If widowed, Death certificate of former spouse of the previous marriage
- If names have been changed prior to the wedding, legal proof of change of name
Minimum Period of Residence at in Sri Lanka
The couple should be resident in Sri Lanka where the wedding ceremony is to take place at least 4 days prior to the wedding
Marriage Certificate in English
The Registrar of Marriages will provide an official marriage certificate in the local Singhalese language with a certified duplicate copy in the English language